Thursday, September 6, 2012

One Good Thing - Picking Up Old Hobbies

With all of this inspiration that's been going on in my life, I've been doing a little soul searching and reflecting.

I realized that I don't do enough for myself.

Yesterday's post showed that I curled my hair and put on make up!  Hey, it's a start!  It made me feel pretty.  I should do that more often...should I find the time.

Running, working out and blogging has certainly helped me get some "me time" in there. Those are sure things that I do for myself, but thinking back, I used to love to do crafts, read and sing, and I don't really do any of those things anymore.  I mean, I still sing in the shower every now and then, but I sang every day on my way to and from work for the 30 minute drive each way.  When I lived with my mom in high school, almost every night I went down to the basement and turned on the amplifiers and microphones and play some Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Billy Joel, Bonnie Raitt, Shania Twain, LeAnn Rimes...and just sing.  I miss it.  I have a cassette tape that I recorded at an amusement park of me singing "The Rose" by Bette Midler.  It's not my best, because I was nervous and I have terrible stage fright (except at Karaoke Night with a few adult beverages in me...).  However I would like to share it with you all, if I can find a cassette player and a way to rerecord it digitally, so I can save it.  If I get brave enough, I may even get a YouTube video up of me singing...but I'll be honest...don't hold your breath ;)

Anyway starting small...I have been researching some ideas on my handy dandy friend named, Pinterest.  Just little things to do at Annaliese's first birthday party which is coming up so fast, house projects I'd like to do, recipes I'd like to try, etc.  It takes money to do a craft project and right now we don't really have any extra funds because they are all going towards the party, so just getting ideas for the upcoming holidays is exciting enough for me :)  They're on my "I'm actually going to do this" list and not on my "Pin this and probably never do it" list.  :)



Also curiosity has gotten the best of me and I picked up a book to read.  Everyone and their mother...and even their grandmother has been talking about Fifty Shades Of Grey, so...what the heck?  I picked it up to try to get back into reading like I used to love doing...and apparently it worked!  I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I hadn't ever read a book over 500 pages before...at least not that I can remember.  So that's a good thing!  Actually I'm a little shocked at how many women love this series, especially after reading the first few chapters in book 1.  I'm not really into the whole S&M thing (probably TMI, but I'm proud of that fact), but the story itself is interesting.  A small town pretty girl falls in love with a wealthy handsome business man...yeah it's like any other beginning to a Lifetime movie, but it's got a little twist.  Needless to say I read the first book pretty quickly and am on the second book.  Yeah it's an erotic love story, but at least it's getting me to read again :)  Ya know...something other than Clifford The Big Red Dog and Goodnight Moon.  After the "Grey" series, I plan to begin the Hunger Games trilogy.  My best friend, Takia, insists that I read it!


So this week's One Good Thing link up with Sarah at Little White Whale is the desire and motivation to pick up some good old hobbies that I used to enjoy doing.  I need to make more time for me, as a person, as an individual.  Not just the mother and wife me.  I enjoy both of those roles very much, but it really is not enough.  I enjoy being lil' ol' me too :)  The person I was before adding the wife and mommy role.  I'm still me, just rediscovering me :)

Little White Whale

Happy Thursday!

18 comments:

  1. I go through busy times when I think, 'I haven't done this in a while..' I can just get out of the habit. How wonderful that you are finding time for some old interests!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably really bad to say that other than Ellen(DeGeneres)'s latest book that she released last year, I couldn't even tell you the last time I read a novel. Probably in high school? It's really true that there are not enough hours in the day! Thanks for the sweet comment! :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see what all crafts you are doing. As you know, I love doing crafts maybe we can do some together. I'm glad that you are reading the trilogy of Fifty Shades of Gray, I am on book three and find myself lost in the story. Like you, I'm not to fond of reading S&M nor romantic setting books, but I couldn't tear myself away from the story. I'm glad that you are finding more of "you time." I can only imagine what life will be like when I have kids. Keep up the good blogging. You sure are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks girl! I'm not doing any crafts just yet, but when I do, I'll give you a call ;)

      Delete
  3. Yay for me time and for getting back into reading (and reading the 50 Shades). The S&M is not really all that bad, I read all three books and got a little annoyed in the end, but all in all it was fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, man, annoyed?! Don't tell me! I was annoyed at the end of the 1st book...I'm pretty anxious to see how it ends. "Me time" is great :) Thanks for the comment, Kerstin! :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE Pinterest...SO much!! Glad you're getting back to you, it's hard sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Jen, but with a little inspiration and determination...we can conquer the world ;) Thanks for 'running' by! :)

      Delete
  5. Cassie, so many good things! It's important to do nice things for yourself. If it's one thing I've learned since becoming a mom, it is that! When mama's happy, the household is happy. Just the way it is. At least that's how it is here. I know I set the tone. My kids are honestly happier when I am, so that's incentive right there to focus on myself from time to time :) I haven't yet jumped on the "Grey" bandwagon, but I'm not opposed...maybe soon. but I have read the Hunger Games trilogy and loved it. Bet you will too! Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very very true! Since Annaliese is almost a year old, I think I am seeing that more now. Everyone needs "me time", I just forgot that ;) Happy Friday to you too! :)

      Delete
  6. love your blog! new follower - joanna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following and stopping by, Joanna! I'm following your blog too! Your little Sienna is adorable! :)

      Delete
  7. I can totally see you as a really good singer! I would love to see a video when you get brave enough!!

    About reading, I picked that up again last year (been a while since the kiddos have been around), and I managed a book a month! This year has been terrible, though, since I'm reading way more blogs than books. I'm on a 890 page book now that I've been reading since like March--Stephen King's Nov. 22, 1963. I'm determined to finish it, so we'll see how much longer it takes. And you MUST read The Hunger Games. Those were the first three books for me this year. AWESOME. We'll have to talk when you're reading/done with it! I'm so proud of your getting back into old likes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to get brave enough....or we can meet up sometime when I'm fortunate enough to see Chicago with my own two eyes, and we can go Karaoke :)
      Thanks for being proud of me! :) It means a lot. You know as well as I do, it's so easy to give up what you actually like to do for things that you HAVE to do, (other than blogging and reading blogs). I'll definitely make an announcement when I read the Hunger Games books! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh Pinterest is heaven isn't? I sometimes lay in my bed at night and just pin away from my phone hahaha. I read the Fifty trilogy but not a fan. Way to go girl, oh and yes you should put up a video of you singing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my pinning is done laying in bed too! It's the perfect down time. :) Oh and I'll see about the video O_o I'm nervous just talking about it!

      Delete
  9. Looking after yourself, your needs, making sure you're happy - all key ingredients to you being a good mother. So it's win-win!

    ReplyDelete

Share Some Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!